Penn State is heading to the Citrus Bowl, where the No. 12 Nittany Lions will face No. 14 Kentucky at 1 p.m. ET, Jan. 1, 2019, at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla. ABC will televise the game.
Want to make the trip to Orlando to see the game? Here’s how.
HOW TO BUY TICKETS
Through Penn State: The ticket sale timeline from Penn State is as follows:
- Eligible Nittany Lion Club Members: online presale requests are now available and run through Monday at 5 p.m.
- Student Nittany Lion Club: online presale is Monday from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Alumni association members: online presale requests are Tuesday from 9 a.m.– 5 p.m., pending availability. If any tickets from the bowl allotment remain after the Nittany Lion Club presale, members will be sent a promo code on Monday evening.
- Penn State students: online sale begins Wednesday at 7 a.m.
- General public: sale begins Wednesday at 10 a.m., pending availability. Tickets can be purchased online, by phone at 1–800-NITTANY or in-person at the Bryce Jordan Center.
Through a Penn State-sponsored tour package: Official packages through Penn State are available. The packages all include rooms at the team’s official hotel and game-day transportation. Packages start at $695 per person for two nights, which does not include the game ticket or transportation down to Orlando. You will have the chance to purchase a ticket when you buy the package.
The only package to include airfare starts at $1,895 per person. This includes a roundtrip flight from Harrisburg to Orlando, three nights at the official team hotel, and ground transportation.
Through the Citrus Bowl website: Tickets are available directly from the Citrus Bowl’s website and start at $51. The Citrus Bowl also offers a ticket exchange and its own tour and group packages.
HOW TO GET TO ORLANDO
Via road trip: Orlando is 1,058 miles away from State College, which translates into a road trip of about 16 hours with no stops.
Via air: The easiest mode of transportation by far is by plane. Here’s a sample of current prices from central Pennsylvania to Orlando International Airport.
The flights below leave Dec. 28 and return Jan. 2, 2019. That enables fans to see all of the events surrounding the bowl game. The prices were retrieved Google Flights at 1 p.m. ET Dec. 2. As always, ticket prices fluctuate based on how long you’ll be out there and when you buy your ticket, but it should give you a good idea of how much a ticket will cost.
- Harrisburg to Orlando: $390
- State College to Orlando: $536
- Baltimore to Orlando: $236 if you really want to spend overnight in the Atlanta airport. Otherwise, $255
- Philadelphia to Orlando: $273
- Pittsburgh to Orlando: $272
- Washington D.C. to Orlando: $255
But there is a catch: Other than the flights going out of Harrisburg and State College, the lowest-price tickets to Orlando can be found through Spirit and Frontier Airlines. Both of these airlines have a number of fees, and both will charge you to bring a carry-on bag on the plane. This will add at least $25-$32 to the ticket prices listed above out of Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and the D.C. airports.
Fly out of any city but State College. Tickets to Orlando out of State College are nearly twice the price of flying out from almost anywhere else. However, your savings could be eaten up by parking fees and gas to get to another airport.
Stay a few extra days. Don’t rush back to the cold in Pennsylvania. You’ll save $100 or more on your plane ticket. Granted, you’ll probably wind up dropping that money at a Florida attraction instead.
Use your smartphone to your advantage. Keep an eye on Google Flights, Kayak, Skyscanner, Priceline, Expedia or install an app such as Hopper on your phone. Sign up for ticket price notifications. If you’re wary about airline sites raising the price based off return visits to check prices, do your plane ticket search with your web browser in incognito mode.
Price-gouging is in effect. All of the travel and ticket prices reflected in this article are as of shortly before the bowl game announcement. Except them to rise sharply. Take care when purchasing from a reseller. If it’s too good to be true, it most likely is.